Despite improved detection technologies and better building design, fire remains one of the top killers and destroyers of buildings, especially for businesses. Every year, hotel and motel fires result in $76 million in property loss. And yet, in a survey of 119 businesses, only 35% had any kind of fire evacuation plan. It is important to always follow safety produces, especially ones designed to prevent, prepare or act in the event of a fire. Make sure to familiarize yourself with them to better protect yourself, your business, and the people around you.
- Make sure to prohibit and advertise the dangers of smoking in bed
- Install smoke alarms around all sleeping areas, and test them once a month. Smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years.
- Ensure that there are posted exit routes in every part of the building.
- Repair broken electrical appliances. Electrical malfunctions make up the leading cause of non-confined fires in hospitals (accounting for 19% of them in fact).
- Schedule regular fire alarm inspections.
- Have fire sprinkler systems installed. Many fire protection services provide installation and high-quality sprinklers.
- In the event of a fire, crawl low under the smoke. Follow your escape plan, convene at your predetermined meeting place, and call for help.
It is good to take special care when dealing with things that could start a fire, like electrical cords, matches, and even lamps. Never let children play with these things unsupervised, and try to use preparedness as prevention as much as possible.
It can be hard for many business owners to come to terms with the fact that in order to make money, sometimes you have to spend money, but for safety measures, it is always necessary and worth it, both ethically, and fiscally. Think about it like you are directly protecting your investment and your reputation.
Fire protection systems, fire alarm systems, and more are essential parts of any structure. Many companies providing these services would be happy to schedule a consultation with you to determine the best fire saftey plan for your business. Your fire sprinkler system will keep your customers and guests feeling safe, and at ease.